Why did anyone believe Bashar al-Assad’s promises of a ceasefire to begin with?
"Among the things the past year has taught us is that Syrian President Bashar al-Assad is a master of diversion. He is well-practiced at navigating the loopholes in international and domestic law, and acutely aware of the opportunities presented by repetitive non-binding statements. Unbacked by action, diplomacy has only ever provided cover and additional time for Assad to pursue his brutal goals. In that way, as long as the Security Council refuses to make a credible promise of force—endorsing and enforcing a strict deadline for a ceasefire—its efforts are unlikely to result in peace in Syria."
Photo courtesy of UPI
- todaysnewsstation reblogged this from thenewrepublic
- pacbullmoose reblogged this from thenewrepublic and added:
- mckinneycantspeak likes this
- jjarichardson reblogged this from thenewrepublic
- thenewrepublic posted this